The Center for the Advanced Study of India (CASI) is proud to host its first annual Student Photo Contest. By highlighting India's immense diversity through the lens of the Penn community, we want to see India through the eyes of our students.
Current Penn students are invited to submit up to three photos of their choosing to the contest, which will be judged by the staff members of CASI. Three winners will have their photographs professionally printed and displayed at the Center for the Advanced Center of India in the Ronald O. Perelman Center for Political Science & Economics for the duration of the 2019 – 2020 academic year. Winners are invited to claim their professionally printed photograph at the end of the academic year along with a ribbon and certificate of achievement.
2019-20 Academic Year Winners:
Kimberly Noronha: "Bringing the boats in and mending the nets – a perfect time for community." Kochi, 2019
Raka Sen: "A Sundarban woman washing her dishes in the salty pond in front of her home." Sundarbans, 2019
Julia Schwartz: "Classic Indian Street." Delhi, 2019
Matthew Andersen: "A girl, carrying her sister, chases away the birds that have claimed the ancient turrets of the Amber fort as home." Amber Fort, Jaipur, India, 2017
Who May Enter?
All University of Pennsylvania students encouraged to apply!
Undergraduate and graduate students from any major, department, or program are eligible to apply. This includes CASI Student Programs alumni who are still enrolled in degree-seeking programs.
Guidelines for Submission:
- Photographs must have been taken in India
- Photographs cannot be significantly edited or distorted in any way
- Minor editing and adjustments are permitted (cropping, sharpening, increasing/decreasing contrast, greyscale, minor edits to saturation, etc.)
- Composite images, heavy filtering, and major edits are not permitted
- Photographs cannot depict nudity, violence, or infringe upon the rights of their subjects
- Photographs must be submitted in landscape orientation (rather than portrait or square format)
- Photographs must be high-resolution
Photo submissions will be judged by CASI staff members on their creativity, originality, and overall impact on viewers. Judges retain the authority to disqualify photographs based on the above guidelines. Though each contestant can submit up to three photographs, CASI will award no more than one prize per person.
Winners will be notified within one week of the submission deadline.
Copyright and Usage Rights:
By entering this contest, entrants acknowledge that all submitted photographs are their own. Entrants also acknowledge that their images do not violate, plagiarize, or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, moral or intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Entrants certify that they approached their photographic study in a compassionate, ethical way, and did not tread on the privacy or dignity of any of the individuals who may or may not be portrayed in their images.
By entering this contest, entrants grant the Center for the Advanced Study of India permission to print and display their photographs on campus and online. In all instances, CASI will credit the winning photographers for their work.
How to Submit your Photographs:
Please compile an email submission with the following:
- No more than three high-resolution photographs
- 1 - 2 sentence captions for each photograph (please include location, year, subject, context)
Email your completed submission to:
- Laura Iwanyk, Assistant Director of CASI Student Programs & Outreach: email@example.com