The Center for the Advanced Study of India (CASI) aims to nurture a new generation of scholars in the study of contemporary India. In line with this, CASI will support Penn students with their independent research projects related to India’s politics, society, economy, and international relations. Undergraduate students are eligible to receive grants up to $4,000 and graduate students can receive up to $5,000.*
We strongly encourage applications from undergraduate students working on senior theses and graduate students conducting and analyzing fieldwork for their capstone projects or dissertations.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current, full-time student enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the University of Pennsylvania who will return to their academic program in Fall 2024
- Student must have a detailed plan of intended fieldwork in India
- Preference will be given to students who haven't received prior CASI funding
- Students must abide by University of Pennsylvania and CDC travel guidelines related to COVID-19
- Contribute to the CASI Student Programs Blog throughout the summer
- Participate in monthly research workshops with fellow CASI award recipients
- Present summer research at CASI’s Student Research Symposium in Fall 2024
Eligible students can apply for CASI Summer Research Funds by emailing the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Statement: The research statement should include (1) an abstract of your project or dissertation, (2) a summary of your prior research related to the project (if applicable), and (3) a short discussion of how a small grant from CASI would advance your studies.
- Timeline & Budget: Provide a short timeline and rough budget of your intended summer research. For students conducting fieldwork in India, this should include where and when you will conduct your research.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- University Transcript: Unofficial transcripts and screenshots are acceptable
- Letter of Recommendation: From student’s graduate advisor or undergraduate project supervisor at the University of Pennsylvania
Nota bene: All documents must be submitted in PDF format. Letter of recommendation should come directly from the referee.
Deadline to Apply: Monday, March 25, 2024, 11:59pm EDT
CASI Student Programs Blog: Read about past student experiences in India
Questions about CASI Student Programs?
Email: Juni Bahuguna (Assistant Director, Student & Visitor Programs) at email@example.com
*The award will be treated as taxable income, which the recipient will be responsible to report for the tax year in which it was received.