The Center for the Advanced Study of India (CASI) offers fully-funded summer internship opportunities to Penn students eager to explore modern India. CASI partners with nonprofit organizations and companies who work on a range of challenging contemporary issues, including public health, rural development, environmental sustainability, education, gender, and social enterprise.
Since 2007, CASI has funded more than 200 Penn students to work with 17 organizations across India. This program is funded through a combination of generous support from CASI donors and Penn Global.
The CASI Summer Internship Program is approximately 8–10 weeks long and will take place between late May and early August 2023.
2023 CASI Summer Internship partners:
Aravind Eye Care System (Madurai, Tamil Nadu) - Affordable Healthcare
Public Health Foundation of India (Gurgaon, Haryana) - Public Health Research
No language skills, international travel, or previous work experience required. Undergraduate and graduate students both encouraged to apply. Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a full-time, degree-seeking Penn student in good academic standing
- Applicant must return to a full-time, degree-seeking program in the semester following the internship
- Penn students graduating in May 2023 are ineligible to apply
- Students studying abroad in the fall of 2023 are eligible to apply
- Students must have the ability to spend 8–10 consecutive weeks in India between May and August 2023
- Due to extended visa processing times, students cannot travel internationally between February 2023 and the beginning of the CASI Summer Internship. This includes personal travel, Penn Global Seminars, and other Penn-sponsored travel.
- Attend pre-departure orientation sessions in March, April, and/or May
- Complete required paperwork to apply for an Indian Student Internship Visa
- Contribute to the CASI Student Programs Blog throughout the summer months
- Participate in the CASI Summer Internship Symposium after returning to campus
$4,500 will be provided for each student awarded a CASI Summer Internship, which will cover the cost of roundtrip, international airfare and in-country living expenses.*
Funds for the CASI Summer Internship Program are available through a combination of generous support from CASI donors and Penn Global.
Students can apply for up to two CASI Summer Internships. Before applying, it is recommended that students read through the CASI Student Programs Blog, which can provide valuable insight into what it's like to be a CASI Summer Intern.
India is a vast country with diverse cultures, languages, and traditions. Please take some time to research each internship and its geographic location.
Applicants are required to submit an online application. The application requires personal information, the name and contact information for one academic or professional reference, an unofficial transcript, resume, and cover letter. The application can be accessed by clicking the following link:
2023 CASI Summer Internship Applications are now CLOSED
For more information, visit:
- The CASI table at the CURF and Career Services 2023 Penn Summer Opportunities and Funding Resources Fair: Thursday, January 12, 2023 from 3:00-4:30 p.m. at Bodek Lounge, Houston Hall
- CASI Student Programs Open House at CASI on Thursday, January 19, 2023 from 3:00-5:00 p.m. at 133 S. 36th Street, Suite 230 in the Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics
CASI Student Programs Blog: Read about past student experiences in India
CASI Student Programs Video: Hear from our former interns
Questions? Email: Juni Bahuguna (Assistant Director, Student & Visitor Programs) at firstname.lastname@example.org
*The award will be treated as taxable income, which the recipient will be responsible to report for the tax year in which it was received.